Technology is a key driver in the evolution of non-traditional BMS products, such as ONICON insertion meters. While traditional meters, like ultrasonic and mechanical meters, are very inexpensive to buy, they come equipped with some drawbacks:
- Inexpensive to buy but expensive to install (cost increases with size)
- Meters must be onsite for pipe installation and pressure testing
- Maintenance downtime considerations – extra expense of adding in isolation valves
- Traditional systems Pulsed, MBus
The new electromagnetic ONICON insertion meters have smaller components allowing for more to fit into less with the advantage of a sensor element in these meters. Other benefits include:
- Fixed cost (up to 600mm)
- Highly accurate 1% of reading
- Small fixed install cost (Hot Tap Available)
- System ready for pressure testing
- Meters follow when BMS is commissioned
- No downtime maintenance
- Increased communications – Pulsed, Analog, BACnet or Modbus
Insertion meters ONICON F-3500
Two versions of the F-3500 are now available. The standard configuration F-3500 is suitable for pipe sizes ranging from 3” to 72” in diameter. The small pipe
configuration F-3500 is suitable for pipes ranging in size from 1¼” to 2½” in diameter.
Optional remote displays and BTU measurement systems are also available for both versions.
• Accurate, reliable flow measurement for HVAC applications
• Ideal for monitoring open loop condenser water flow
• Hot tap design simplifies domestic water retrofit installations
• Cost-effective way to monitor fl ow in larger pipe sizes
• Suitable for use in water and water/glycol systems
Evolving with technology: insertion meters
IBC was part of iSMA Summit 2021! Watch this section on “Technology and Meters” below.